Tuesday, July 11, 2006

One Year Ago Today...

Hi everyone,

Today is the 1-year anniversary of Gotcha Day, the day we met Emily for the first time! We can't believe it's already been a year. Although it's been such a busy year, with Emily growing and changing constantly (she had her 2nd year checkup with the doctor today!), we still remember the incredible excitement of the moment we met her...and we know family and friends remember it, too.

In honor of this very special day, Kevin and I decided to repost some of our favorite photos, and tell Emily how much she means to us. --Caroline

Letter from Mommy


My darling daughter,

Today it's been one year since you were placed in my arms. In that moment, all my dreams were realized, when I became your mother.

You couldn't be more mine if you had grown inside me. Yet you did grow inside me--you began as a tiny seed of hope in my heart, and slowly grew and grew, until your child's tendrils encircled my heart so tightly, I could barely breathe from happiness, hope, fear, frustration, and excitement.

How ironic that your entire life is chronicled on the Internet for your birth parents to see, yet they'll never know it's there. They made the ultimate sacrifice when they gave you up, and I'll always be grateful to them for their incredible gift. And as you grow and begin to question your beginnings, I promise to be truthful, to tell you what little I know. And if the truth hurts you, or makes you doubt yourself, I'll hold you in my arms and we'll deal with it together. I'll do whatever I can to ease your pain. We can honor your birth parents, visit your birthplace, do whatever it takes to bring you peace.

I want you to grow up to be a strong, independent woman, proud of your adopted culture, and the culture you came from. Please don't ever doubt yourself. As the Desiderata says, "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here...Strive to be happy." That's all I ever wish for, for you.

I love you...forever.

Mama


Letter from Daddy


To my little pumpkin,

Words can never adequately express the love and joy you have brought to my life. Every day is a new adventure with you.

I think often of your birth parents, and hope that they know that you are safe and loved.

I cannot be with you today, as I am writing this from my hotel room in Texas, but know that my heart is with you, even if I can't be there to tuck you in and say "night night".

The excitement I felt leading up to holding you in my arms is nothing compared to the excitement I feel each day when I see you. And when I travel, Mommy keeps me posted on all of your antics each day.

I will be home soon, and our adventures will continue.

I love you...and I always will.

Love,

Dada

Our beautiful girl today, at 25 months old.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin & Caroline,

I'm at a loss for words on this one,all I can say about your letters is,"BEAUTIFUL,INSPIRING AND
INCREDIABLY FILLED WITH YOUR LOVE"
What a lucky,precious little girl
Emily is and is so loved by all of us.
Thank You,
Love, "Grammifrani/"Mum"

Anonymous said...

Only two weeks until I get to meet my little cousin. I'll have to teach her to call me Mick.

Anonymous said...

Our Little Miss America sure has changed over the year. I love her dress of many colors and that beautiful smile.

Mommy sure does a good job in writing for the history of Emily.

Uncle Jack

Anonymous said...

Emily - you sure are beautiful. You (and your parents) are the essence of joy. I hope to meet you soon.

Love,
Your cousin and mom of 3 others!
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of both of you, you not only saved a beautiful little girl, you gave her the precious gift of family. Emily has changed all of our lives forever and now I can't even imagine my life without her in it!!!!!

Love you all!!
Aunt Tracey
P.S. Caroline, you are a wonderful writer, I am still crying.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Well Caroline... you have made me want to leave for China sooner then later... it was a beautiful letter that you & Kevin wrote for Em... made me get a lump in my throat and want to cry. Can't wait until the day I get to hold my daughter and feel the joy that I see everyone has...
You need to do something about that 'Captain Feathersword' thing... wonder if they got me on the camera at work the other day... dancing in the aisle to make Emmy do the Feathersword thing...
Your Friend... Felicity and Mike

Anonymous said...

Those are the sweetest words I've ever read. I'm still crying. Emily will be proud to have both of you as parents.....FOREVER!!


xoxoxox Estelle