Monday, July 25, 2005

A Busy Day

Hi all,

We're still recovering from jet lag, and still falling asleep in shifts during the day. Emily is getting up between 2 and 4am, wide awake. We need to get her in a better routine, because we're so tired. But she's happy and healthy, and that's what really matters.

Our social worker, Julie, called, and told us not to worry about Emily refusing solid foods. Instead, we need to make solid foods part of regular mealtime for her, and have her see us eating them (well, these would be tiny pieces of soft, solid foods like banana and cheese).

Today we were off to the pediatrician's office. Emily's doctor entered the room looking like June Cleaver in an adorable pink dress with poofy skirt, a sweater and pretty bracelets. Emily didn't mind the exam at all...well, except for the tongue depressor that she also hated in Guangzhou. Here she is in her glory.



Emily Stands for Doc Witte.

There was a hilarious and embarassing moment when Emily gave Doc Witte "the finger", something she taught herself and used on her Uncle David. Thank gosh Doc Witte and my brother have a sense of humor! I sure hope Emily doesn't use that finger in public!

Emily weighs 16 pounds, 10 oz and is developmentally at the level of a 6-7 month old baby. She wears size 6-9 month clothing and her diapers need to be smaller. She's still constipated, so we have to add Karo syrup to her bottle. Doc Witte and Julie are convinced she'll catch up fast, so we're not worried.

Next, off to JDS Uniphase, Kevin's former workplace, to drop by and show off Emily, since his former coworkers continue to follow her progress on the website. Emily ate up the attention and even walked a few steps for Kevin's friends (with help, of course). Everyone was so excited to see her, it was really nice.

Next, off to Toys R Us to get her a bouncy chair since she likes to bounce on our stomachs, which can be hard after a meal. She loves her chair.



Next, off to the dentist for Caroline (I bit down on something hard in China and thought I loosened a crown--turned out to be ok). The girls at the dentist's office just loved Emily. I've been with this group since the 1980s, and they followed our attempts to start a family, then our journey to Emily. Kevin was so impressed with their warm personalities that he's changing dentists!

Let's see...last stop the grocery store and Melbourne Beach Library, which are almost in the same parking lot. Emily met the librarians and especially Miss Diane, the kids librarian. We'll be spending a lot of time here, and Miss Diane bought Emily several adorable outfits. Emily walked for her (with help, of course), and we promised to return next week.

Back in the carseat for the ride home, into the backyard swing with Daddy, then the bouncy chair, where Emily giggled every time Mia pushed past her into another room.

Ok, one last photo, at everyone's urging. Here's where Emily gave Uncle David "the finger". Kevin and I were horrified, and sure hope it doesn't happen again. We don't want anyone thinking she doesn't appreciate us Westerners! :)



Take care,

Caroline

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Caroline, I'm sure I speak for your Harris friends who have also been following your journey very closely - WE WANT TO SEE HER TOO! Please bring her by FTI at least :o) I would love to see you and meet your wonderfully special beautiful daughter!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, Brenna points with her middle finger and often (like the good Italian she isn't) would be making a point with her hands, giving the finger all at the same time! Thankfully, she's now starting to use "the pointer finger".

Emily is adorable and seems to be adjusting so well. What a doll!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home, we can't wait to see her. It was wonderful to be able to join you on your journey to becoming parents. Now the fun starts, enjoy every minute.

Anonymous said...

I want to hug and squeeze our Emily so badly, I don't want to wait until October, but I guess I have to. I love Doc Witte's dress, how cool is she, she kind of reminds me of Cyndi Lauper, she must keep the kids amused.

Have fun with your bundle of joy!!!
Love & miss you.
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are parents and you are wearing it well! We have refrained from reading the blog knowing that you'll be back here living right next door to us with Emily in your arms soon enough. There's been a driveway full of cars upon your arrival home. We've tried to stay away and give you your time with your new daughter to rest and recouperate from your long trip. We know how exhausted you must be. Then, I worried as I haven't seen you out walking with Emily yet that everything was okay. Finally, my fear alleviated seeing Kevin mowing the lawn tonight with a big grin and a wave! So, I couldn't stand it any longer and had to return indoors, view the blog and wonderful journal and pictures. Now, we're ready to meet her and will stop in soon! She's absolutely beautiful and we wish you many many happy years together.

Love,

Your anxious neighbors ....
Susan, Steve, Shane, Keynan & Shiloh!

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I am going to cherish this picture forever. D

Anonymous said...

I am Judi ... Mother of Melissa (Scott) Braun of Satellite Beach. At Melissa's encouragement, I have been following your journey into parenthood and have so much enjoyed each and every word and picture. Thank you for sharing. My husband and I wish all three of you love, laughter and, of course, health.