Note from Caroline...look who's finally posting! And boy is he in trouble for the Major Houlihan comment!! Here's Kevin's view of the day's events...
Today (for us) is what is known as GOTCHA DAY in the chinese adoption circles. This is the day that we stop cooing and aahhing over little bathing suits, tiny shoes and spoons so small that you aren't certain which end to grab, and turn all of our attention over to the baby that we will call our daughter...now and forever! Of course, that wouldn't happen until the end of the day. The early part of the day was filled with sighs and mascara-lanches over seeing our babies' first footprints stamped on the adoption paperwork. Below you can see a photo of Caroline and Kevin posing next to their baby's ink stain on paper.
OOOhhhhh...AAAAhhhhh...tiny little toes!!!!
This ceremony was followed by a quick lesson in Cantonese for useful phrases (for those of you that have been paying extra close attention, yes, we were studying the wrong dialect...Mandarin...all along).
And what trip half way around the world would be complete without lunch at Pizza Hut, and a shopping trip to the local (2-story) Wal-Mart Supercenter. I failed to see any starving children, which leaves me with a bone (or two) to pick with the parents. I recall choking down quite a few pounds of lima beans and scalloped
potatoes in my day while being filled with guilt over starving children half way around the planet. What...You never thought I would find out!?! We actually witnessed a man on a scooter riding down the street with TWO..not ONE...TWO complete sides of beef strapped to back of his scooter as he zigged and zagged through the crowded streets. I ask you, can people that race through the streets with freshly slaughtered cattle actually be starving?
Anyway, after our journey through the Nanning Wal-Mart Supercenter to purchase beer, chips and dried noodle soups (I think the women got some baby stuff, but none of the husbands would know much about that) we were whisked back to our hotel for the final countdown.
One hour later we were standing in a conference room, at a hotel a few miles from the one in which we are staying. An official of the Chinese government came in and made a brief address and thanked us for adopting. Then, the moment arrived. Up until this moment Caroline was doing her usual Major Houlihan routine...barking orders, reading notes and trying to stay as calm and detached as possible so that she did not make a single mistake. Then it happened...somewhere between the hundreds of dollars worth of A/V equipment and the books, lists, Yahoo! groups and veteran mommy advice, someone decided to make us parents. It hit us harder than I could ever have imagined. Caroline broke, and she never looked more beautiful to me than she did at that very moment!
Above you saw our first Lewis family photo, and here's our first "mommy & me" photo. In the latter, Caroline's expression says it all. All of this hardwork, socking money away, baby showers, redecorating, and everything else that happened in the last year was all for a purpose. A purpose greater than all of the expensive hardware and camera equipment...greater than the stenciling in the nursery...greater than anything we could ever imagine. We have been given a life to nurture, to protect, to educate...to Love...and this is what it was all about.

We will keep posting news and photos throughout the week. Thank you all for joining us on this journey...it is not over yet, but the next journey has already begun.
Love to all,
Kevin
11 comments:
Elizabeth and Zumu send their congratulations to you both on the most wonderful day of you life.
I'm so glad for the technolgies
that made this day special for me
seeing Emily for the very first time in your arms.
I Love You so much.
Hurry home!!!
Love, "Mum"
We are all looking at your beautiful, perfect, healthy bundle of joy who looks very happy to finally meet Mommy & Daddy.
Love you.
Tracey, Jill, Lisa & Cindy
P.S. Jill says she looks like Kevin!!
She is so beautiful!!! I can't stop crying and the girls at work are busting me, but so what, I'm very proud!!!!! This wait was definitely worth it and she looks very comfortable with her Mommy & Daddy. I love the pink sundress!!!!! I can't wait to see all of you.
Love you.
Aunt Tracey
I am confident that one day you guys will post something that doesn't make me cry. Clearly that day is not today.
"Congratulations" just doesn't feel like a big enough word, but it's all I've got. That, and love good wishes for all of you. I hope the rest of your journey is safe and happy.
XO,
Rebecca
Ok - I've been checking all day waiting to see it and it is PRICELESS!!! She is beautiful. Your family is gorgeous and life begins today! I am so happy for all of you! And Tracey - if it makes you feel any better I'm crying too, and I'm just the cousin!
Enjoy your precious gift.
Love, Kathleen
You're going to have to put her down sometime, Caroline.
Paul
Congratulations!!
Emily is gorgeous and you two are just beaming with love.
Love,
Natalie Duncklee
I'm so very proud of my son and daughter. Your extensive efforts over the past year have finally brought you this beautiful baby to share your lives. You all look great.
Love you both,
Dad & Rea
So of course I'm crying... It's finally here...that moment you've been waiting for even before I began your home study! The joy I have for all THREE of you is immense and I can't wait to see ALL of you when you return:-) Congratulations Mommy, Daddy, & Emily!
All the best,
Julie & family (CCAI)
P.S. Kyla is looking over my shoulders & saying "aaahhh...she's so cute..."
Kevin, Caroline, & Emily...
What a beautiful new famiy that has been created; your are both glowing with emotion & joy and Emily looks healthy & adorable!Words can't express how happy I am for all THREE of you & I look sooo forward to seeing you ALL when you get home! Please give Emily hugs & kisses from us & have a safe/healthy rest of your trip!!
The whole family has been starring over my shoulders to "ooohh & aaahh" over the pictures!
All the best,
Julie (your friend & CCAI social worker!)
p.s. Call me if you need ANYTHING!
Oh sorry! I posted 2x by accident! I didn't think the first one went through (it looked like it had gotten erased) hence I thought I had to do it again!! Oopps:-)
Julie
Post a Comment