Thursday, July 07, 2005

We're in Hong Kong!!

Just wanted to let y'all know that we arrived in Hong Kong at 5am this morning. The flights from Orlando out to San Francisco were awfully squished, but Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong was much better. Very nice service. Still squished, though. I sat next to a really neat English professor on her way to teach in India for 2 years. We talked books and travel, what else? :)

We met the families in our group at the San Francisco airport--all as happy and excited as us--and visited each other on the plane. These are the families whom we'll travel to Nanning with and then on to Guangzhou. We even ran into Phil and Beth, a couple we met in Orlando last month at Cindy and Russ Bolton's house! We later found out around 75 folks were on the plane travelling to China for a first or second daughter.

Our agency rep, Alex, met us in Hong Kong airport with bottled water (the first of many), and we took a fascinating bus ride to our hotel--The Kowloon Shangri-La, which is just lovely. We're about to walk through the city, using our friend Amy's recommendations for places to go. Tomorrow we tour Victoria's Peak, Aberdeen fishing village, and a pearl shopping center.

We're putting a sock over the bathroom sink so we remember to NOT drink the water, and we've been instructed to NOT lie down or even attempt to nap while standing until 10pm (it's now 10am), and we're already tired! So, we're off to explore the city and take photos, which we'll post here. Horrible news about London...we just heard in the lobby. Our rep offered the group his cell phone to call home.

Talk to you soon,

Caroline and Kevin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you two. You are SO close to being a family of 3 (ahem, er... 4, counting Mia). This has been a long time coming and the day is almost here. Hip Hip Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! I hope you have a blast touring HK and know you'll do your best to stay awake until bedtime (toothpicks in eyelids comes to mind). It's a great way to get acclimated to the time difference. Can't wait for the next update. REALLY can't wait to read you've got her in your arms!!

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved you arrived safely. I hope you were able to get a good sleep last night or maybe you are sleeping right now. Enjoy your last weekend as a couple, because Monday you will be a FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!

Love & miss you lots!!!
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Hey Caroline this is Anthony and Joan.Were still in Florida and are looking forward to you getting Emily. We hope you like the box we had a slight accident at the airiport when it dropped out the bag but we fixed it and its better than new. Good Luck in China and whe will keep checking the site. Bring us back some chop sticks!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so psyched you guys are blogging this! It's very exciting to read about it all as it's happening.

Try to have fun in Hong Kong, although I think if I were you I'd be too excited about meeting Emily to be able to pay any attention to my surroundings. Like someone else already said, I cannot wait to read that you have her in your arms and are headed home.

Safe travels to all of you!

Anonymous said...

AAAHHH - I'm so excited for you. I am glad you arrived safely and will pray that everything goes well. I can't wait to hear that you are a complete family forever! And I have to second Tracey's comment about enjoying this couple time, because it will all change soon - my 4 year old is yelling for me and I just walked up the stairs!

Love you, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom and Dad

Grandparents and Anthony are spoiling me....anything I want and a lot of petting!!! Ha Ha...wait until Emily sees all I get!!

Love,

Mia

Anonymous said...

Yeah you are in Hong Kong now, getting closer and closer to getting little Emily in your arms.
Praying for you guys and can't wait to see the cutie patutie when you get her.
Natalie