Hi all,
Today was a neat one in Beijing. Not a cloud in the sky, the smog was minimal and it was 40+ degrees Fahrenheit. Cold, but beautiful. We started the morning off with pork congee and pork balls for breakfast, then proceeded to Tianamen Square, which is just outside the gate of the Forbidden City.
Inside a Hutong
A Hutong is a series of apartment-size dwellings along a number of connected streets, where extended family members lived, traditionally those connected to the Emporer's family. Today, over 6,000 of these Hutongs dot the streets of Beijing for a total of around 1 million people. The families are no longer related but live in close proximity. If the Hutongs were physically connected end-to-end throughout Beijing, they would stretch longer than the Great Wall!Traditional Tea Ceremony
A lovely event, our hostess (seen here with Kevin and our guide Helen) explained the significance of tea to the Chinese, explaining how to steep the tea, which tea works for which ailment, how to serve the tea (in exquisite, tiny clay pots or lovely cups), etc. We were then treated to a tea tasting with as much seriousness and ceremony as a wine tasting. It was almost bizarre, as magical cups were introduced--one decorated with a black dragon that changed into a full-color portrait of the Great Wall when hot water was added.My favorite tea was Lychee (the fruit) with added rose flowers. Kevin loved the Oolong (black) tea, and the jasmine ball (more magic). The Jasmine ball is made of green tea leaves wrapped around flowers. When hot water is poured over the tea ball, it slowly opens to reveal the flowers inside, and makes a lovely home decoration.
Our hostess at one point introduced a Lucky Boy, a clay figure that grows when water is added to it, and then pees across the room and onto the floor! I kid you not--this little guy is more anatomically correct than either the Ken or G.I. Joe dolls. Call me tired, about to become mom to a toddler who need potty training, whatever--it struck me as so hysterically funny that I laughed until tears streamed from my eyes. I was still laughing when we left the tea house 20 minutes later.
Other Great Stuff
The food has been great--we've stuffed ourselves aplenty. The Chinese food is nothing like the greasy, heavily sauce laden stuff you easily find at home. Instead, the sauces are more delicate. We had a spicy peanut chicken meal for lunch that had a very surprising kick in the form of some ginger that made my tongue go numb for a few minutes. Kevin remained unaffected and just happily chewed away. Tonight we had Peking Duck for the first time, which was just yummy!
Tomorrow is a trip to the Great Wall, with Kevin's new gloves and my new sweater and leggings (that have to be worn beneath my jeans). Because it's going to be even colder!!!
Take care,
Caroline
7 comments:
Hey Guys,
You look like you are having fun and staying warm. I can't wait to see the pictures of when you get David. Oh Happy Day!!!
Love,
Natalie
It looks like you are doing well. CJ and I would have liked the tea ceremony. I know I would not have been so thrilled with all the congee. Look forward to the next post !! Love, CJ Linda & Lia
Hey, Helen was our guide too. She probably remembered how tired our rickshaw driver appeared and requested a strong one for you! I'm grad you had a few chuckles at my expense. LOL We can't wait to see pictures of you from the top of the Great Wall.
Cindy
Well, I felt like I was reading a travel brochure... thanks guys... made me feel like I was there with you... I am really looking forward to going to the type of places you are going to. I had literally sped home from work to see what you were up to. Well, look forward to tomorrows adventures... take care and have fun...
What a fun time! As soon as I saw that rickshaw picture I was giggling, too, remembering Cindy's video :) Can't wait for the next update. Hugs.
Congratulations on your newest family member! I am Marcy from the CCAIWCP group. I was wondering if I could email you to ask you to do something for me when/if you go to the Tianjin City SWI. My email is marcyj@verizon.net
Thanks!
We enjoy reading about your journey. My family and I just got matched with Zhang Zhao Yuan also from Tianjin. We know you are really busy but if you happen to see her at the orphanage and could give us any observations you can about her, we would be FOREVER in your debt.
Zhang Zhao Yuan is 3 1/2 year old girl with a vision issue. Her right eye appear puffy and smaller than her left.
CCAI had nearly no info. on her and we aren't sure if she can even see- or if she's blind. It's kind of scary.
Of course you are there for your sweet boy so if you aren't able to help we understand VERY much.
Thank you.
Suzie & Doug Daley
BLOG: http://thedaleysvt.blogspot.com
Email: suzierobbins@yahoo.com
PS: We have a photo of Zhang Zhao Yuan on our blog.
Post a Comment